The 2007 Catalunya Costa Brava PWA World Cup Slalom Event Guide
Spain’s scenic Bay of Roses is proud to give a traditional Catalonian welcome to the PWA World Tour’s finest Men’s Slalom-42 Racers.
The 2007 season see’s the Ballena Alegre Camping resort - the site of many great Freestyle and Super-X showdowns in the past - hosting the cream of the crop from the PWA’s exciting Slalom racing discipline.
The action will rage from June 12th through 17th.
Slalom-42 is limited to production equipment, widely available on the open market, that’s designed for maximum speed, downwind pursuit, and occasional long distance racing.
It’s possible to race with wind speeds of less than 10 knots and riders are to be seen spectacularly overtaking each other at speed around gybe marks and along fast reaching sections.
Nearby Girona, accessible by low-cost airlines from across Europe, this has to be one of the most easily reached spots on tour for riders and spectators alike.
The conditions here can range from daily light thermal breezes to nuclear strength Tramontana wind howling down from the Pyrenean Mountains.
An enticing €30K Prize Purse has tempted a full strength entry list to this hotbed of windsurfing on Mediterranean. The 2007 Slalom World Title.
Names to watch out for…
Red Hot Favorites and Form Players after one event this season:
• Kevin Pritchard (USA-3 Starboard / MauiSails) - The Current tour leader. One PWA racing title to his name already.
• Micah Buzianis (USA-34 JP / NeilPryde) - 2006 Runner-up. Currently 2nd Overall. 2 times PWA racing Champ.
• Antoine Albeau (F-192 Starboard / NeilPryde) Reigning world Champion. 3rd Overall so far in 2007.
Razor- Sharp racers and Speed Merchants:
• Finian Maynard (KV-11 F2 / NeilPryde) –World Speed record holder. Enough said.
• Jimmy Diaz (ISV-11 F2 / North) – Maynard’s Caribbean rival. PWA Chairman. Chief tester for North sails. Ranked 4th so far in 2007
• Patrik Diethelm (F2 / North) - F2 Shaper, rider and speed sailor.
• Bjorn Dunkerbeck (SUI-11 T1 / North) – Racing Colossus. Total Windsurfing Legend. Missed first event of year. Joint 2005 Racing Champ. More than capable of catching up…fast.
• Ross Williams (GBR-83 Tabou / Gaastra) - Light wind specialist who’ll love the softer sea breezes.
• Arnon Dagan (ISR-1 Fanatic / NeilPryde) – Capable of turning it on and beating the best at any time.
• Steve Allen (AUS-0 Tabou / Gaastra) - Racing Specialist. 2002 PWA Racing Champion. Always a chance he could bring a top 3 finish out of the bag. Missed first event of year in Korea, but is on fine form in European contests.
• Pieter Bijl (NED-0 Fanatic / NeilPryde) – Super-competitive powerhouse. Chief tester for NeilPryde Race team
• Ben Van Der Steen (NED – 57 Exocet /Naish) – Loose Cannon capable of cracking off race wins.
• Peter Volwater (NED-24 F2 / North) - Seasoned all-rounder never to be under-estimated.
• Florent Renard ( FRA- 5 JP / NeilPryde) - 2006 Rookie of the year. Consistent. Dangerous. Focused
• Robby Swift (GBR-89 JP / NeilPryde) - Successful newcomer to Slalom after excellent achievements in Waves, Freestyle and Super-X. Already just outside top 10.
• Julien Quentel ( FRA-421 Starboard / NeilPryde) - Young Formula Windsurfing talent. Almost certain to be bagging podium positions in years to come. Probably sooner than later.
Keep up to date
Be sure to keep up to date with every piece of the action at www.pwaworldtour.com
Here you can use our:
• Live ticker service for race by race bulletins
• Check live elimination ladders
• View results
• Read daily news summaries
• Watch video footage of all the action
• Browse awesome action photo galleries
Or, for more information please contact the PWA office via email@example.com
© PWA / Brian McDowell