The 2007 Pegasus Airlines PWA World Cup, Alaçati – Registration Day
Pegasus has landed beside the beautiful Aegean Sea, and the world’s greatest Slalom racers have all arrived safely to a warm welcome in Alaçati, Turkey.
In line with the rest of this spectacular season, a promising forecast is pointing towards the possibility of some great racing action over the holding period of August 14th through 18th.
The top men’s seeds are all signed-up and rearing to go along with a women’s fleet that’s brimming with international talent.
Alaçati is the penultimate event of 2007 which has shown a 100 % wind record to date and thrown up some excellent battles on the water.
Izmir province’s surf ‘n sound extravaganza has also proven incredibly popular, with over 60 racer’s worldwide making the event the most heavily subscribed of the season
Hot Favorites - Men
• Antoine Albeau (Starboard / NeilPryde) – He’s sealed the 2007 title already but being at home on a podium he’s hungry for more and for a slice of the Booty.
• Kevin Pritchard (Starboard / MauiSails) – Consistent Kev needs to sew-up second overall for the year and here’s the place to do it. He’s scored a 1st, two 2nd’s and a 6th so far. That means he simply has to beat Buzianis to ensure the runner’s-up spot is his.
• Micah Buzianis (JP / NeilPryde) – The 2006 runner-up is long overdue an event win. Alacati’s lighter winds and flat water will fit his smooth racing style like a glove.
• Bjorn Dunkerbeck (T1 / North) – Another heavyweight player who loves the smoother water and is ravenous for glory.
• Finian Maynard (F2 / NeilPryde) – The reigning speed record holder and the 2006 Alaçati Champion. The big man from the British Virgin Islands feels right at home here in the moderate winds and turquoise water.
Local talent – Bora Kozamoglu (Starboard / NeilPryde) has hustled hard at PWA events before. He’ll be one to watch here on his home patch along with a dozens of his compatriots who’ve all staked their claims to the cash.
Hot Favorites - Women
• Karin Jaggi (F2 / North) – She’s already wrapped-up the 2007 title but her will to succeed is unstoppable.
• Valerie Ghibaudo (Tabou) – France’s top female racing talent has upped her game in 2007 and Jaggi has never had to fend off such a challenge as she did recently in Fuerteventura. Ghibaudo received a massive boost from that pressure and is likely to build momentum.
• Verena Fauster (F2 /Gaastra) – Fauster’s suffered from rusty early season form and may be dangerous if she peaks here in Turkey to blow the cobwebs away.
Local threats - Gul Tercan is the highest ranked Turkish women’s racer on the PWA tour. But it’s also worth watching out for Cagla Kubat (Starboard / North) who placed 6th in Alaçati back in 2006, and 18 yr-old Lena Erdil (JP / North), the Turkish youth champion, and Sedef Koktenturk (Fanatic / NeilPryde) who recently made her debut.
Skipper’s meeting tomorrow is at 11.00 for a first possible start of 11.30
Please join us at www.pwaworldtour.com tomorrow to follow the action using our live event ticker, view online photo galleries, check the elimination ladders and read daily news summaries.
Or for more information please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
© PWA / Brian McDowell