Steven van Broeckhoven (JP / Gun Sails / Shamal Sunglasses) remains one of the world’s best Freestylers, but a spate of injures in recent seasons have stopped the Belgian from adding to the sole world title he won in 2011. The 33-year-old remains a major threat though and the former Freestyle world champion reaffirmed his status as one of the world’s best by recording his best result since 2014 after placing 5th in Fuerteventura and 4th in Sylt to finish 5th overall. The Belgian likes to let his sailing on the water do the talking, but here’s our 20ish Questions feature with Steven.
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
Because it’s the best sport and lifestyle. It makes me happy!
2. What quality do you like most in other people?
When they’re friendly :)
3. What annoys or frustrates you the most?
The way animals are treated and get killed these days. Everyone who likes to eat it should kill it themselves to understand.
4. What do you most like in yourself?
That I’m handy and always can solve a problem if something breaks.
5. What do you dislike in yourself?
Maybe that I am too competitive, maybe a perfectionist, and not so into office work.
6. What has been your best moment on tour?
Year 2011, 7 events and a world title!
7. What has been your worst moment on tour?
2015 when I couldn’t go to Fuerte to compete because of injury.
8. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
Maybe starting the tour a few years earlier.
9. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
10. What would be your perfect day?
No work, no emails, just start the day with a nice coffee, good breakfast, go bike or SUP in the morning and windsurf in the afternoon and having good food in between and spend time with the family.
11. Do you have any superstitions?
12. Which living person do you most admire?
Difficult to say just one person but let's say my father.
13. What is your greatest fear?
End of career because of not being able to pay the bills.
14. What is your most treasured possession?
15. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
Probably would have a normal life.
16. Where is the best place you’ve been?
Cape Town, especially the beginning when it wasn’t too crowded.
17. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
A place which is unknown.
18. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
Just my friends!
19. First App you open in the morning?
20. Most visited website?