Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing) has recorded multiple wins on the PWA Youth Wave circuit, while also being crowned the 2017 U16 Youth World Champion. During the 2017 season Gil, then just 15-years-old, already recorded his first heat victories in the main draw in Tenerife to eventually finish ranked 32nd overall. Gil may now only be 16-years-old, but the young Spaniard is already sailing with an ability and maturity beyond his years and starting to make his name more known on the full circuit. Having finished 32nd in 2017, Gil produced a series of not only excellent, but consistent performances to record 3 joint 17th places to earn 21st in the overall rankings. Gil is widely regarded as one of the best young talents in the world and the 16-year-old looks set for an exciting future and is certainly one to keep a close eye on. We recently caught up with Marino to be the latest candidate for our 20 Questions interview.
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
Because it is a different type of sport, it is the sport that gives me the most adrenaline, and you are always connected with nature and that gives you a unique lifestyle to follow.
2. What quality do you like most in other people?
The constancy and perseverance, for me Braw [Marcilio Browne] is the most clear example of these two attributes.
3. What annoys or frustrates you the most?
Not achieving my goals by a scheduled date.
4. What do you most like in yourself?
The obsession of making everything, it gives me security and tranquility.
5. What do you dislike in yourself?
Sometimes I think I have too little patience.
6. What has been your best moment on tour?
When they told me that I was Youth World champ.
7. What has been your worst moment on tour?
I haven't had a bad moment on tour, I have enjoyed every moment on tour because this is my passion.
8. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
Don ́t be anxious and everything will arrive eventually.
9. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Never change your way of being.
10. What would be your perfect day?
Big waves and wind for 3.4m in pozo!!!!!
11. Which living person do you most admire?
I don ́t really have one in particular, Braw has been a really good person with me giving a lot of tips, Ricardo [Campello] has also helped me a lot when I was smaller and he always makes it fun in and out of the water, also I think Victor [Fernandez] is one of the most constant and stylish out there, and I admire how Philip [Köster] has won all these titles at such a young age.
12. What is your greatest fear?
Getting injured and not being able to sail anymore.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
My family for sure they are always helping and supporting me.
14. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
I don ́t really think about this, since I was small I’ve been thinking about being a professional windsurfer, but It would be something to do with sport.
15. Where is the best place you’ve been?
In the places that I have been for me right now is my home spot Pozo Izquierdo.
16. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
Ufff there are a lot of places like South Africa, Australia, Peru, Chile etc.
17. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
For sure Kai Lenny, he is one of my idols
18. First App you open in the morning?
From Monday to Friday instagram but on Saturday and Sunday windguru, to see where I can sail!!
19. Most visited website?
Windsurfing TV - I ́m always watching windsurf videos
20. A phrase you live by?
Go big or go home, hahaha I always try to go big!!!
You can stay up to date with all of Marino Gil’s latest news and adventures via his Social Media Channels: