Esther de Geus (Fanatic / Duotone) made her debut on the Women’s PWA Slalom World Tour and over the last few years the 27-year-old has made steady progress up the overall rankings - with her training in Tenerife clearly paying dividends. De Geus finished 13th in 2015 and has improved every year since - 2016 - 7th - 2017 - 6th - and 5th in 2018, which was her best result to date on the world tour. As someone who is on a steady upwards trend we recently caught up with Esther for the latest edition of our 20 Questions feature.
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
I love the high speed on the water and it creates a feeling of freedom.
2. What quality do you like most in other people?
3. What annoys or frustrates you the most?
The waiting game in Korea (After coming there for the fourth time).
4. What do you most like in yourself?
My persistence to reach my goal.
5. What do you dislike in yourself?
For slalom I am to light and short so I have to compensate with my other qualities.
6. What has been your best moment on tour?
Competing in New Caledonia and Portugal, two amazing places to race!
7. What has been your worst moment on tour?
Racing in water full of seaweed or trash.
8. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
Don’t give up on your dreams.
9. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Always believe in yourself.
10. What would be your perfect day?
Sunny, warm and windy sharing a great day on the water with friends and a lot of smiles.
11. Which living person do you most admire?
12. What is your greatest fear?
In general, losing the people you love. In sport/ windsurfing my biggest fear is to get so badly injured that I am not able to windsurf / play sports anymore.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
My loved one and family.
14. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
Hmm difficult question but I guess a doctor.
15. Where is the best place you’ve been?
Australia, the best sailing conditions, friendly people and beautiful nature.
16. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
17. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
My boyfriend and preferably alive ;)
18. First App you open in the morning?
19. Most visited website?
Checking the webcams on different windsurf spots in Holland. For example, on my home spot scheveningenlive.nl
20. A phrase you live by?