Kurosh Kiani (Starboard / Maui Ultra Fins) has been competing on the entire PWA Slalom World Tour since 2010, but made his debut back in 2007. The 35-year-old has previously been crowned the Danish Slalom Champion, while also winning numerous local contests. Kiani didn’t enjoy his best season in 2018, but has previously been ranked as high as 23rd in the world in 2015 - when he also recorded his first top 10 result on the world tour during the Sylt PWA World Cup having qualified for the Winners’ Final. We recently caught up with Kurosh, who is one of the most popular sailors on the tour and also developed the PWA live scoring system, for our latest 20 Questions feature.
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
Not sure actually. But whenever I get on a windsurfer and get planing and blast along the water or do a jump, I feel very alive. It’s what keeps me going. There is nothing a good windsurfing session cant fix!
2. What quality do you like most in other people?
People I vibe with. Sincere, adventurous and funny people.
3. What do you most like in yourself?
I’m a very fast learner.
4. What do you dislike in yourself?
I’m always a couple of minutes late to appointments.
5. What has been your best moment on tour?
My best moments have always been when I’ve been able to put a good game together to challenge my opponents properly.
6. What has been your worst moment on tour?
Costa Brava 2016. I sailed my way to the semi-finals and sailed the wrong semi-final heat. So I got disqualified and got a last place.
7. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
I would have trained differently, and put my focus on the things which would have mattered, but that’s very easy to say looking back after these years of racing.
8. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
If in doubt, go big.
9. What would be your perfect day?
If I were able to squeeze in surfing, gym, lots of windsurfing, chill-out, guitar playing and a few other things into the same day!
10.Do you have any superstitions?
Sure, but they are too weird to mention.
11. Which living person do you most admire?
12. What is your greatest fear?
Not going for what you want.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
My knowledge I guess… and my fin bag.
14. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
I’d be cruising around the world doing online business with my laptop!
15. Where is the best place you’ve been?
In general, I’ve always enjoyed Cape Town lots, but Maui has always been a special place for me.
16. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
17. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
Some hot woman?
18. First App you open in the morning?
19. Most visited website?
Windguru by far.
20. A phrase you live by?
Strike while the iron is hot.
You can stay up to date with all of Kurosh Kiani’s latest news and adventures via his Social Media Channels:
Facebook: @imthekman web.facebook.com/imthekman/
Instagram: @imthekman www.instagram.com/imthekman/