Nimet Tulumen (Tabou / GA Sails) combines being a Data Scientist with competing on the Women’s PWA Slalom World Tour. The 30-year-old has spent plenty of time training in el Medano, Tenerife, over the last winter and those hours of training paid off in the season opener in Marignane with the Turk qualifying for the winners’ final from a 29 woman strong field to eventual finish 8th - which equals her best result since 2017 in South Korea. We recently caught up with Nimet to be the latest candidate in our 20 Questions feature:
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
Windsurfing is the moment that you stay alone with yourself and the nature, I appreciate that a lot.
2. What quality do you like most in other people?
Everyone has different qualities that makes them unique from others. I always like to discover and find all these various qualities.
3. What annoys or frustrates you the most?
4. What do you most like in yourself?
That I try to be positive and energetic all the time with myself and the people around me.
5. What has been your best moment on tour?
Every competition has its best moments - hard to choose just one =)
6. What has been your worst moment on tour?
Airport check in.
7. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
Just enjoy every moment of sailing and racing.
8. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Do what you do the best, and outsource the rest - Peter F. Drucker
9. What would be your perfect day?
One of the summer days in Alaçatı
10. Do you have any superstitions?
11. Which living person do you most admire?
Every passionate, hard working and happy person.
12. What is your greatest fear?
Never reveal your weakness to anyone ;)
13. What is your most treasured possession?
14. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
My real job is Data Scientist which I am doing it right now.
15. Where is the best place you’ve been?
Turkish Aegean Cost
16. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
Peru, planning to go soon
17. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
18. First App you open in the morning?
Gmail and Google Calendar
19. Most visited website?
Every month it is changing. Right now Windguru for El Medano and Heroku Cloud Application Platform.
20. A phrase you live by?
One of the happiest moments in your life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change.
Thanks, Nimet. See you in a couple of week in Japan.
You can stay up to date with all of Nimet Tulumen’s latest news and adventures via her Instagram: @nimettulu