The end of last year and the beginning of this has seen a lot of activity in the transfer market with the most sailors in recent years changing sponsors. In the past we have reported each transfer individually, but with the higher than average number of transfers we’ve decided to make a comprehensive roundup to cover all of the latest transfers for 2020.
- 5-time World Champion Philip Köster (Severne / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) has left Starboard to sign for Severne Boards as well as their sails.
- Ricardo Campello (Naish / Naish Sails) has signed for Naish
- Justyna Sniady (Naish / Naish Sails / AL360) also joins Naish for 2020 - “I am super excited to announce that I am joining the International Naish Windsurfing Team this year! What a way to start a new decade. My sail number is POL-1111 and of course Robby Naish was the inspiration for that. I still remember watching his R.I.P. movie as a kid for the first time blown away by what windsurfers can do. Wave sailing was then completely surreal to me, but I knew one day I wanted to try. When I got to go to the Baltic Sea in the summer and tried windsurfing for the first time, you could not make me leave the water... These days we only came in to watch R.I.P. one more time! As I was sailing in the rain at Hel Peninsula, on a slippery school-rental board for hours on end until my hands bled, I imagined I am Robby and I'm sailing around my "own private islands" in Kailua haha.. Looking back it's crazy how much influence Robby have had on me getting into windsurfing and wave-riding, so I am really stoked to be welcomed to the Naish Team this year I've been testing the new sails since the beginning of January and I am super pumped to hit the water again as soon as the next good forecast and new boards arrive! Stay tuned to a new video dropping soon! I am looking forward to sailing as part of this legendary team. I can't wait to learn from Robby and everyone at Naish, to test, develop, share ideas, try new things and push boundaries. Thanks again to everyone at Naish Sails.”
- Moritz Mauch has left Severne, but has yet to announce who he will sail for in 2020 - “| Thank you Severne | After 6 years of working together with Severne-Sails its time to say goodbye. I had an amazing time riding for Severne, but after 6 years our paths dived. Thanks a lot to everyone of the Severne Sails team I met over the years it was a pleasure to work together. Specially to Florian Brunner he first helped me out and believed in me to get me on Starboard a couple years before signing with Severne and after losing my sail Sponsor at that time he was the first to support me and bring me into Severne Sails Germany. I'm looking forward to 2020, it will be an exiting year with new goals in mind and projects planned, I cannot wait to start the year and push it harder then ever.”
- Alessio Stillrich (Simmer / Simmer Sails) joined Simmer after 13 years with Fanatic / Duotone - “I am extremely happy and proud to be part of the Simmer Style family! The boards and sails work so well, I have been riding on the Blacktip and Flywave here in Cape Town and the gear works very good. It suits my style of sailing. I will do my best to represent the Simmer brand and work with R&D with Tomas Persson for sails and Ola Helenius for boards. Thank you for this opportunity, Im greatly looking forward to have a lot of good moments and success together!”
- Marc Paré (Fanatic / Duotone) has gone the opposite direction - swapping Simmer for Fanatic / Duotone - “I am stoked to get this unique opportunity to join the Fanatic family. The good vibes between the team was always something I enjoyed looking at and especially Victor, Klaas and Adam are quite good friends of mine already and I am sure we will make a good match on the water during training and testing boards.“
- After many years Boujmaa Guilloul has parted ways with Starboard and Severne and joins the Goya team
- The young and talented Baptiste Cloarec (RRD / RRD Sails) has also left Severne to join RRD
- Omar Sanchez (Star-Fish / GA Sails) has teamed up with GA Sails after previously sailing for KA Sail
- After 5 years together Alex Mussolini has left RRD, but has yet to reveal who he will sail for in 2020
- 3-time world champion - Kauli Seadi (MB Boards / Hot Sails Maui) has signed for MB-Boards
- Youp Schmit (Tabou / GA Sails), who finished 4th overall in 2019 has left I-99 and Avanti to join Tabou and GA Sails - “Indeed! I have been stoked on Gaastra/Tabou since a little kid, the other day I posted a little video on my social media! And I have been in touch with team manager Matt Prichard since a little kid but we never got a deal going. As my pro career took off in 2010 I signed with JP/NeilPryde. I was using the gear as I started off with freestyle and was in love with the gear, so I am stoked to be back!"
- Mattia Fabrizi (Patrik / Severne) switches from Challenger to Severne Sails for 2020 - “It’s time for a change! For 2020 i will ride Severne Sails. Can’t wait to hit the water with my new sails!."
Niclas Nebelung has joined (Fanatic / Duotone)
- Jacopo Testa will no longer ride for RRD Boards
- FMX Racing have captured the signatures of 4-time world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel (FMX Racing / S2Maui) and her husband - Antoine Questel (FMX Racing / S2Maui) - “Happy to announce myself and Antoine Questel’s collaboration with FMX Racing France for 2020 ! A new adventure begins and it was really important for us to sail with the same sponsors ! Thanks to Finian Maynard to trust in us and I am really motivate to give my best to keep my Foil and Slalom World Title for 2020 ! Already some good session with our new S2Maui Venom 2020 and FMX racing Invictus and Hyperion and I can tell you the combo is just perfect!”
- Ben van der Steen (Goya Windsurfing) has left GUNSAILS to team up with Loftsails once again - “I was a Loftsails rider in 2011 and 2012 and they were some of my best years on the tour so far. Also, since 2011 I have been living in Tarifa - so never too far from Monty and the Loftsails team - and there has always been good relations and respect. Becoming a Loftsails rider again was an easy decision. Loftsails has always been on the top of my list for sails, and the opportunity to become a team rider for a second time at this point is just coincidence really. From testing with my friends’ sails I know the performance of recent Loftsails is right up there, and I am very positive about the possibilities. It’s a great opportunity. It is the performance of the sails and the team ethos that brings me back.”
- Former vice-world champion - Cyril Moussilmani - has revealed he will leave RRD, but currently doesn’t have an equipment sponsor for 2020 - “Official Announcement. I am out of boards and sails contract for 2020. I don't know where i am going, but I hope I can continue to windsurf as a job. Thanks to RRD for the 2 last years.”
- Julien Quentel (Exocet / XO Sails) will ride for Exocet and XO Sails in a big change for 2020
- Bruno Martini (Future Fly / Challenger Sails) - who won his first race on the world tour in 2019 - has signed for Arnon Dagan’s Future Fly Boards.
- Luuc van Opzeeland will ride for Tabou and GA Sails for 2020 - “Proud to finally announce that I’ll be riding with GA Sails and Tabou in 2020."