Pascal Toselli (Patrik / Loftsails / Chopper Fins) has developed into one of the world’s best racers since making his debut back in 2004. Last year the Frenchman was involved in the title race, but saw his challenge fade away in the second half of the season - eventually finishing 7th, but has been ranked in the overall top 5 twice (2014 and 2017). Toselli is one of the friendliest faces on the tour, but don’t let that friendly nature lull you into a false sense of security on the race course as he remains fiercely competitive and is more than capable of challenging for podiums and event victories! We recently caught up with Pascal to be the next sailor in our 20 Questions feature:
1. Why are you so passionate about windsurfing?
I think it's genetic.. :) in my family we are a few to be completely addicted! As soon as I started planing I knew I was going to do this for a long time! I like the sensations, the fact you can be alone on the water, you can feel free but also all the moments that you share with people around the windsurfing world.
2. What quality do you like mort in other people?
I like simple people, open to others, who love life and share.
3. What annoys or frustrates you the most?
When there is no wind - especially during an event and injuries.
4. What do you most like in yourself?
I do not know ahaha.
5. What do you dislike in yourself?
To say only one.. :) I’m stubborn.
6. What has been your best moment on tour?
One of my best moments on tour is my first race victory, I was pretty close to win a round a few times but I could not get through and I finally managed it in Fuerte 2014, it was also my first podium during this same event, so I have an amazing memory of this event.
7. What has been your worst moment on tour?
Fuerte 2016 when I dislocated my shoulder, a bad moment for the pain but also because it was the first time that I had to stop competing at an event before the end, at this moment I also suspected that I could not finish the season normally.
8. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you have given yourself when your career started?
When I started I did not really feel comfortable among all these big names, and it was impressive to be next to all these guys I saw in the magazines and I had a tendency to give my place in the jibe for example so I didn’t disturb them… if I had to give myself one piece of advice, it would be to do as I do now, to hold my line while respecting all the other riders.
9. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Be yourself, and enjoy every moment.
10. What would be your perfect day?
Good forecasts and loved one’s around!
11. Do you have any superstitions?
12. Which living person do you most admire?
I admire a lot of people alive, especially people who enjoy simple moments, who love to share and enjoy life.
13. What is your greatest fear?
Losing a loved one.
14. What is your most treasured possession?
My fins.. :)
15. If you weren’t a professional windsurfer, what would you like to be?
Graphic designer, that's what I studied and I like it a lot.
16. Where is the best place you’ve been?
Maui, but I also like New Caledonia a lot too.
17. Where would you most like to go to that you haven’t been to yet?
There are so many… Mexico, Cape Town, Tahiti, Mauritius…
18. Who would you most like to have as a dinner guest, dead or alive?
Family members who left too early.
19. First App you open in the morning?
Email, WindGuru, Instagram
20. A phrase you live by?
Enjoy the present moment
Never give up
Thanks, Pascal. See you in Fuerteventura.
You can stay up to date with all of Pascal Toselli’s latest news and adventures via his Social Media Channels: