Next up in our Siblings feature are two more young guns - Julien Flechet (Tabou / Hot Sails Maui) and his younger brother Titouan (Hot Sails Maui). Julien competed in the U19 Wave Youth division in 2019 finishing in joint 23rd place, while Titouan was in the U17s fleet - where he earned 8th place. Over to Julien to tell us more about their sibling relationship.
Who are you, how old are you and who is your sibling? We are the brothers Julien (19) & Titiouan Flechet. We live in Brittany (France), just in front of the beach! So we are every day in the water together… surf/paddle/windsurf.
- At what age did you start windsurfing?
We started windsurfing when we were 5/ 6 years old, in Moulay Bouzerktoun!
- Were your parents also windsurfing?
Yes, our father is also windsurfing, he teaches us everything since the beginning! My mother also sails but on the beach, she doesn’t sail but she follows us everywhere! 2 years ago she came 1 months to Pozo during the summer with my brother and me.. Do you know somebody who come to Pozo for 1 month and doesn’t sail?!?!
- Did you both work towards competing at a high level in windsurfing? Yes for sure! We have the same dream to be world champ one day! And to share it with our family it’s just perfect!! And now we started to live our dream!
- How is it to travel to the same events all over the world?
It’s pretty cool, except when you arrive at the airport with 5 board bags haha! It's reassuring to travel with someone from your family, or a friend, you are never alone, and especially if you have a problem. When we arrive at the competitions, the fact of being two, allows us to film each other, take pictures and this is really very important for all our sponsors, and this allows us to have an outside vision for our navigation of the day…
- Are you helping each other during an event or are you focusing on your own event only?
Yes, of course, we are primarily focused on our competitions, but we also have an eye on the competition of the other! We are a team so we put our strategies in place together, we help each other.
- What’s a weird habit of your sibling?
Joker !! haha
- What do you both have in common?
The same passion!! The same sponsors except the fins.
- What is the funniest thing that happened on tour together with your sibling?
All the sessions are fun together! Especially when you heat up and have good big crashes!
Only one word answer possible!
- Who is faster?
It depends… (now that’s not one word is it?)
- Who takes longer to get ready to go on the water?
- Who has more windsurfing gear?
- Who has won more windsurfing medals?
- Whose room is a mess?
Photo Credit: Eric Bellande / Michel Brehonnet